Friday 23 February 2007

soda bread

i was asked for the reciepe for soda bread by chris, this is my granny's original reciepe given to me by my uncle dessie he makes it all the time and its yummy. so here it is enjoy and let me know how it turned out

Soda bread is very simple to make.This is most important. Turn on your oven [Gas mark 8] before you start to make the bread as it needs to be very hot for the bread to turn out right You need 1 lb of plain flour,1/2 pt of Buttermilk[the tesco one works alright but the real one is better] 1 level teaspoon of salt 1 level teaspoon of breadsoda [Bicarbonate of soda]
Sift the flour .salt and breadsoda into a bowl
Make a well in centre,Add buttermilk and mix from the centre in [Just like cement]
I find using a wooden spoon best for mixing,Be careful not to add too much buttermilk ,dont add it all at the one time. Mixture should not be sloppy.
Turn out onto a floured board and Knead it very slightly [Just one or two turns inward] Shape into a round .Put it into a 8" GREASED tin Cut a deep cross into it and cover the tin with an ovenproof plate [Stops the crust getting too hard] Bake in the middle of the oven for around 40 minutes [Ovens vary] Test if baked by tapping the bottom ,It should sound hollow.
Enjoy

today i made a new friend, that loves scrap booking, she lives in the next town to me,and has invited me along to a crop with her on tuesday so im looking forward to that.

4 comments:

Chrissie said...

Thanks for the recipe, its sounds great. I have added the buttermilk to my shopping list :-)

carol pink cottage said...

oh i might have to make some tomorrow i might doa few scones while im at it
love ya baby
carol

scraphappy aka sandy said...

let me know how it turns out

Deanne Clarke said...

Thanks for visiting my site!!! I immediately had to go see yours!!Isn't it wonderful to find someone with the same addict-, er... passion as you for scrapbooking!!! Enjoy!

siblings

siblings
I'm the cute one in the middle. a rose between thorns... lol

Blog Archive